This recipe is a variation on our Paneer Chickpea Pancakes, with a lovely roast veggie topping and a selection of dressings (which can be whipped up in seconds). You can choose your favourite or mix-and-match at will, with the herb oil giving you a perfect vegan option.
The dressings are adapted from Diana Henry’s Simple and Sabrina Ghayour’s brand new Simply – as you might expect, the dressings are simply simple to make!
Chickpea Pancakes with Cumin Roast Carrots and Parsnips
- 200 g Chickpea (Gram) Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Tumeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 300 ml Water
- 6 Carrots peeled
- 2 Parsnips peeled
- 3 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes (optional)
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 3 tsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Mustard while grain
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 4 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp Warm Water
Fresh Herb Oil
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- Small bunch Parsley or other leafy herb
- Preheat the oven to 200°c. Prepare the veggies. Halve and quarter the parsnips length-wise. The vegetables should be cut into a similar size, so if you have small carrots you could roast them whole.
- Place the veg in a roasting tray, then drizzle over the olive oil, cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes till the veg are nicely tender and browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pancake batter following the recipe here.
- Prepare the dressing(s) of your choice – or all three if you're feeling fiesty, they all work really well together.
- For the Tahini Dressing, simply mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Warm water makes it easier to loosen thick tahini.
- For the Pomegranate dressing, again, all you need to do is simpy mix the ingredients in a bowl.
- For the Herb Oil, chop up your herbs and blend with enough olive oil to make a loose liquid. Simple parsley works nicely, but you could experiment with any leafy herb combinations, like coriander and mint.
- When the veggies are cooked, remove from the oven and loosely cover with foil to keep warm while making the pancakes, following the instructions in the Chickpea pancake recipe.
- Pop the pancakes on a plate, top with the veg and drizzle with your choice of dressing.