This couldn’t be simpler – mix and fry your way to crunchy bhaji heaven, in a bread bun! If you’ve got a bit more time, make your own bread and mango chutney, otherwise this is great fun to rustle up with your favourite shop-bought chutney and buns.
Feel free to mix up the ingredients, for instance, substituting the cheese for more onions if you want to go vegan and the quantities are easy to double up if you want more. You can also just make the bhajis as a snack.
The addition of paneer really makes these for me – soft in the middle and super crispy on the outside. Delish!
- 2-3 Red Onions very finely sliced
- 200 g Paneer
- Ginger thumb-sized piece
- 2 Green Chilli
- 150 g Flour plain
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- Vegetable Oil
- 150 g Natural Yogurt
- 30 g Bunch Fresh Coriander approx.
- Mango Chutney
- 4 Bread Buns
- Finely slice the red onions, grate the paneer and finely chop the green chilli.
- Place the paneer mixture in a bowl and sprinkle on the flour and dried spices.
- Mix in 75-100ml water to bind together.
- Heat up a large frying pan to medium-to-high heat and enough vegetable oil to cover the base of the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, divide the paneer mix into four and place two quarters in the pan, flattening them with a spatula so they cook evenly. Don't worry about making these neat – the craggier the edges, the more crunch you get!
- Fry on one side for about 8 minutes until golden brown. Don't be tempted to move the mix around, you should be able to see it's cooking around the sides. Flip and fry for another 8 minutes or so on the other side.
- Drain the bhaji on some kitchen paper and make the coriander yogurt. You can either blitz the yogurt with the coriander in a blender, or simply finely chop the fresh coriander and stir it through the yogurt. Have some mango chutney on standby!
- Split your bread buns and spread some coriander yogurt on the base of each half.
- Pop on a bhaji and more yogurt on top, plus some mango chutney.
- Top with the other half of the bun and devour!